Sunday, October 20, 2013

Spring...Er, Winter Cleaining

It's finally here. The day I have been trying to avoid for what I suppose is about 5 years now... Let's see... Yep, probably about five or six years of panicked shuffling, pulse racing, physical palpitation on the palms and a definite heating of the cheeks just at the thought of it... That's right, I have to clean out the closet.
I know, I know, overdramatic. But for me, a lot of that stuff is like a scrapbook. Seriously, I need a scrapbook. I mean, most of the stuff I kept not because I liked it so much, but because of how I got it. It's not just a little rubber duck, it's that duck I got on that vacation! I loved that trip... What if I forget about it. So here, now, for anyone unlucky enough to have clicked the link to either view the page or somehow follow my blog, or if you are that person in Germany who saw my post x number of months ago and managed to make my life, get ready for a virtual closet-cleaning of the mind. This is where I'm going to store all those memories that I'm giving the physical counterpart away to someone who can use the physical part again to.
The first and most important thing that I had in my boxes of Everest... Squinkies. Sure, no one knows what they are already, but I mean, that's the point of a fad, isn't it? Bring it in quick, get them all sold, get out before the card house collapses. Squinkies remind me of my disastrous sixth-grade-year, the year defer all my failings on. Sure, it may not be totally true, but total and utter betrayal is pretty intense for one who's more into thinking that gossiping, if you know what I mean. It was a bit of a shock for my age... That's more or less what I expect now, but that's probably because of it. I'd say more, but I'm still forced around the people who were part of that, and I don't want any names anywhere. I don't like hypocracy, and making them feel bad because of what I said is NOT revenge. It's bad. Not only that, if they haven't changed, it'll be a reason to tease.
Anyway, the squinkies. The first of the fads of my time I've participated in without predicting. This, in fact, is what got me into the idea of predicting fads. I'm pretty darn good at it. This is where it all started, too. With a little zoo-in-your-pocket, as I like to think of it. They're little zoo- or otherwise -animals that you can squish. They're still around, now with the brand-name squinkies, but back then, we basically called them "those squishy animals you can get at Little Caesar's". Yep, that's right, that's where they were from. We took (pr rather, our parents took) a 30-minute drive to the Little Caesar's across town. If you were lucky enough to live near there or have someone in the family who worked near there, you were in for some big perks. If you had any extras, or if you just wanted something out of someone who had the money to pay for it, you could get just about anything. Gum, money, homework passes, "Homework passes" - a pass for you , where someone would do your homework for you so you didn't have to, even pledges of servitude of one form or another. I had several, including the "rare" ones, sometimes. I lived nowhere near any Little Caesar's, but with the power of persuasion, I could usually -let's face it- probably connive it out of someone else. I don't even remember how I got it out of people. I think I started out with a couple, and people, mostly taking pity on my middle-of-nowhere-home plight, gave me their least favorite ones. I traded those for ones that people didn't like but I liked better, et. cetera. I can say this. I didn't steal any, because if I had, I would still feel guilty to this day. 
And you know what? A few months back, just after seeing the Avengers, I went and bought a set of Avengers Squinkies. They fit in one of those pouches about the size of the one you may have had for the tooth fairy. It was a brilliant buy, in case anyone was wondering if it was worth it. So there you have it. The first item on my new-and-organized shelf of stuff/memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment